Controller of Merchant Shipbuilding and Repairs

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Office of the Controller of Merchant Shipbuilding and Repairs
Board of Admiralty Flag 20th Century.png
Admiralty
Member ofBoard of Admiralty
AppointerFirst Lord of the Admiralty
Term length(typically 1–3 years)
Formation1941
First holderSir James Lithgow, 1st Baronet
Final holderSir James Lithgow, 1st Baronet
Abolished1946

The Controller of Merchant Shipbuilding and Repairs was the senior official charged by the British Government with responsibility for the management of the United Kingdoms's shipbuilding programmes and a member of the Board of Admiralty from 1940 to 1946.

History

This office evolved out of the earlier role of Comptroller-General of Merchant Shipbuilding that was established in 1918 during World War One. However he was not a member of the Board of Admiralty but did report to the Controller who was a member of the board.[1]

The office was revived during World War Two in February, 1940. He was one of the principal Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty and a member of the Board of Admiralty until 1946.

Office Holders

  1. Sir James Lithgow, 1st Baronet, 1 February 1940 - 21 January 1946.

References

  1. Commons, House of. "Lord Pirrie's Appointment - Hansard - Volume 104 - 20 March 1918". hansard.parliament.uk. Hansard. Retrieved 11 November 2020.