|Headquarters||War Office building |
|Parent department||War Office|
The Control Department of the War Office was established in January 1868 and was responsible for all matters relating to supply to the British Army. The department was controlled and directed by a Controller in-Chief until 1870 when his office and this department was abolished. Its former functions were divide up between one of the four new centralised departments. The Controller in Chief's office was replaced by a new appointment the Surveyor General of the Ordnance who administered a Department of the Surveyor General of the Ordnance.
From 1857 until December 1867 a series of organisational changes with the War Office had taken place. In January 1868 the supply departments - Stores, Contracts, Commissariat, Purveyors, Clothing and Barracks - were placed under the superintendence of the Controller-in-Chief, who also became responsible for the newly created Control Department, a semi-military organisation for the execution of supply duties in the field. In December 1868 the Director of Ordnance was replaced by a Director General of Ordnance and Commandant, Royal Arsenal.
In the reorganisation of 1870 a Surveyor General of the Ordnance replaced the Controller in-Chief and, as head of one of the four departments into which the War Office was then divided, he became responsible to the Secretary of State for War; for all matters relating to supplies and ordnance. In 1870 the Control Department and its head the Controller in-Chief were abolished and replaced by a Surveyor General of the Ordnance as the new head of the Department of the Surveyor General of the Ordnance one of four new centralised departments of the War office.
The control department was retained in the new organisation until 1875 when two of its departments survived a further reorganisation, the Commissariat Department and its subsidiary's merged with transportation to create a Commissariat and Transport Department whilst the Ordnance Store Department as part of the Commissariat became separate department with the Surveyor General of the Ordnance's department until his department was abolished in 1887.
Structure of the Department
The department consisted of a number specialist departments and a corps responsible for areas of army administration they included:
Army Service Corps
- Roper, Michael (1998). "Ordnance Departments after 1855". The Records of the War Office and Related Departments, 1660-1964. London: Public Record Office.