|HMS Tamar (1897-1939)|
HMS Sultan (1940-1941)
|Part of||Department of Admiralty|
|Garrison/HQ||Hong Kong (1865-1939)|
|First||Rear-Admiral George St.V. King|
|Last||Admiral Sir Tom S.V. Phillips:|
The China Station was major naval command area of the Royal Navy and how it divided its worldwide responsibilities. It was created in 1865 and deactivated in 1941. It was commanded by the Commander-in-Chief, China Station.
- 1 History
- 2 Area of Operations
- 3 Naval HQ
- 4 Components
- 5 References
For both strategic reasons and identifying areas of jurisdiction the Royal Navy was distributed around the world, separated into various fleets or squadrons operating from a number of regional stations, also known as commands. From 1831 to 1865, the East Indies Station and the China Station were a single command known as the East Indies and China Station. The China Station, established in 1865. The station had its main bases at Singapore, Hong Kong and Wei-Hai-Wei with other smaller bases at Penang and Rangoon.
Area of Operations
Initially its area operations at one time extended from India to Australasia and as far East as Pitcairn Island; its northern limits were the Bering Sea, then due to a reorganisation of its area of responsibility included the coasts of China and its navigable rivers, the western part of the Pacific Ocean, and the waters around the Dutch East Indies.
Commander-in-Chief, China Station
Chief of Staff to the Commander-in-Chief, China Station
Second-in-Command, China Station
At various times it encompassed naval formations and other ships not attached to other fleets. In addition to shore establishments including, barracks, dockyards, depots, hospitals, refitting and re-supply bases, naval bases or victualling yards. Those components that were part of this station are shown below.
Bases and Ports
The China Squadron was a naval formation of constituent ships assigned to the East Indies and China Station that was established in 1831. In 1865 the East Indies and China Station was divided into two independent naval commands, this squadron then became the main formation of the China Station until 1941 when it was abolished.
|Hong Kong Naval Yard||1859||1941|
|Kowloon Naval Yard||1858||1941|
|Wei Hai Wei Dockyard||1898||1930|
|Royal Naval Hospital, Wanchai||1873||1941|
|Royal Naval Hospital, Yokohama||1876||1923|
|Hong Kong Naval Volunteer Force||1933||1941|
|Straits Settlements Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve||1922||1941|
- Harley, Simon; Lovell, Tony (18 December 2019). "China Station - The Dreadnought Project". dreadnoughtproject.org. Harley and Lovell. Retrieved 29 January 2020.