Chief Inspector of Machinery
|Chief Inspector of Machinery|
Shoulder Board Insignia
|Service branch||RN Engineering Branch|
|Next higher rank||None|
|Next lower rank||Inspector of Machinery|
A Chief Inspector of Machinery was a commissioned rank in the British Royal Navy Engineering Branch established in 1866. Prior to 1903 this was the highest rank in the engineering branch they ranked above and Inspector of Machinery.
The rank was introduced as Chief Inspector of Machinery Afloat in July, 1866. Before 1900 it's equivalent Military Branch rank was Captain with over 3 years service in that post. In April 1903 the rank was replaced by the new rank of Engineer Rear-Admiral.