Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleet
|Office of the Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleet|
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Reports to||Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleet|
|Nominator||Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleet|
|Appointer||First Lord of Admiralty|
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–2 years)|
|Precursor||Captain of the Fleet, Channel Fleet|
|First holder||Commodore First Class A. Gordon H. W. Moore|
|Final holder||Captain Frederick W. Hayden|
|Succession||Captain of the Fleet, Western Fleet|
The Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleet was a senior British Royal Navy appointment. This naval officer of the rank of captain served on the staff of Commander-in-Chief, Home Fleet and was in charge of staff work pertaining to maintenance of material. The post exited from July, 1909 with intervals when there was no post until to June 1967 when the Home Fleet was disbanded.
The post of Captain of the Fleet was originally established in 18th century with the office holder being appointed to assist an admiral or commander-in-chief in the discharging of his duties. The Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleet was created in July, 1909 the first incumbent of the office was Commodore First Class A. Gordon H. W. Moore. From March 1912 until August 1914 this office was replaced by the Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleets which in turn was replaced by the Captain of the Fleet, Grand Fleet. The final office holder was Captain Frederick W. Hayden.
- Commodore First Class A. Gordon H. W. Moore, July, 1909 –December, 1909
- Commodore First Class The Hon. Somerset A. Gough-Calthorpe, December, 1909 – 25 March, 1911
- Commodore First Class William O. Boothby, March, 1911 – 31 July, 1912 (became Captain of the Fleet, Home Fleets)
- Commodore Second Class Henry W. Parker, April, 1919 (became Captain of the Fleet, Atlantic Fleet)
- Captain Ronald W. Oldham, August, 1933 – August, 1935
- Captain Alban T. B. Curteis, August, 1935 – April, 1938
- Captain Douglas B. Fisher: April 1938-March 1940
- Captain Harold R. G. Kinahan: March 1940-January 1942
- Captain E. Desmond B. McCarthy: January 1942-April 1943
- Captain Alex C. Chapman: June 1943-July 1944
- Captain Peveril B.R.William-Powlett: July 1944-May 1945
- Captain Charles A.E. Stanfield: ? 1946-March 1948
- Captain Charles F.W. Norris: March 1948-April 1950
- Captain Hilary W. Biggs: April 1950-April 1952
- Captain Wilfred G. Brittain: April 1952-March 1954
- Captain Bertram W. Taylor: March 1954-March 1957
- Captain Viscount Kelburn: March 1957-April 1959
- Captain Bryan Cecil Durant: April 1959-November 1960
- Captain Philip G. Sharp: November 1960-June 1962
- Captain John S. Stevens: June 1962-May 1963
- Captain Edward L. Cook: May 1963-September 1965
- Captain J. Anthony R. Troup: September 1965-July 1966
- Captain Frederick W. Hayden: July 1966-June 1967
- Commodore Second Class Henry W. Parker became Captain of the Fleet, Atlantic Fleet in April 1919 after the Home Fleet was renamed the Atlantic Fleet. In June 1967 the Home Fleet was abolished and replaced by the Western Fleet, Captain Frederick W. Hayden was then appointed Captain of the Fleet, Western Fleet.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865" (PDF). Gulabin. Scotland: C. Mackie. p. 138. Retrieved 5 October 2019.
- Harley, Simon; Lovell, Tony (9 January 2019). "Home Fleet (Royal Navy) - The Dreadnought Project". www.dreadnoughtproject.org. Harley and Lovell. Retrieved 5 October 2019.