|Part of||Western Approaches Command|
Barrow-in-Furness was a base and local command of the British Royal Navy created in August, 1941 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy administered its worldwide responsibilities. It was defined so by the Department of Admiralty to identify the area jurisdiction of the Naval Officer-in-Charge Barrow-in-Furness and existed until June, 1944.
For command purposes the Royal Navy was divided into a number of major or local stations, fleets or or other formations, each normally under an admiral or senior officer.
Barrow-in-Furness is a port town in Cumbria, facing into the Irish Sea. During World War Two it was activated as naval station in August 1941 as a transportation base. The command existed until June, 1944 when it was deactivated.
- Captain Henry E. Rendall, 19 August, 1941 – 10 November, 1941.
- Rear-Admiral James Douglas Campbell, 1 April, 1942 - June, 1944.
- Rear-Admiral Douglas Balfour Le Mottee, June, 1944. - June, 1944.
At various times it encompassed naval formations and other ships not attached to other fleets. In addition to shore establishments including, barracks, dockyards, depots, hospitals, refitting and re-supply bases, naval bases or victualling yards. Those components that were part of this station are shown below.
- "Records of Stations and Fleets". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Kew, Surrey, England.: National Archives UK. 1702–1969. Retrieved 14 November 2019.