Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Operations and Air)
|Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Operations and Air)|
Ensign of the Royal Navy
|Navy Department (1968-1984)|
|Member of||Board of Admiralty|
|Reports to||Vice Chief of Naval Staff|
|Nominator||First Sea Lord|
Minister of Defence for the Royal Navy
Subject to formal approval by the Queen-in-Council
|Term length||Not fixed (typically 1–3 years)|
|Inaugural holder||Rear-Admiral, Leslie Derek Empson|
The post was established in July 1968 following a reorganisation of the British Naval Staff. The office holder was responsible for supervising the directors of a number of naval military staff directorates until October, 1984 when the post was abolished.
- Rear-Admiral Leslie Derek Empson, — (July 1968–July 1969)
- Rear-Admiral Douglas G. Parker, — (July 1969–June 1971) 
- Rear-Admiral Peter Austin, — (June 1971–June 1973) 
- Rear-Admiral James W. Dunbar Cook, — (June 1973–February 1975)
- Rear-Admiral C. R. Peter Branson, — (February 1975–February 1977) 
- Rear-Admiral John Gerard-Pearse, — (February 1977–January 1979)
- Rear-Admiral Martin La Touche-Wemyss, — (January 1979–January 1981)
- Rear-Admiral Anthony Whetstone, — (January 1981–April 1983)
- Rear-Admiral Linley Eric Middleton, — (April 1983–July 1984) 
- Rear-Admiral Kenneth A. Snow, — (July–October 1984)
- Wilson, Alastair; Callo, Joseph F. (2004). Who's who in naval history from 1550 tot the present (1. publ. ed.). London [etc.]: Routledge. p. 236. ISBN 9780415308281.
- "Vice-Admiral Sir Peter Austin: Obituries". telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph, 8 Sep, 2005. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Rear-Admiral Peter Branson". Telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph, 6 Feb 2011. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Rear-Admiral Linley Middleton". Telegraph.co.uk. The Daily Telegraph, 1 Dec, 2012. Retrieved 20 November 2019.