Anti-U Boat Division
|Headquarters||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
|Parent Organisation||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Anti-U Boat Division was a directorate of the Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy established in September 1943, and was responsible for formulating and developing strategies in relation to under surface warfare and controlling the development of new under surface naval weapons. In September 1945 it was renamed the Torpedo, Anti-Submarine and Minewarfare Division.
The division evolved out the earlier Anti-Submarine Committee set up in 1910, that coordinated the admiralty's earliest anti-submarine warfare proposals sent for consideration by the Board of Admiralty. Further systematic assessments and experimentation would take place from 1911 until 1915 when the Board of Invention and Research was established. It went through numerous name changes succeeding the Anti-Submarine Warfare Division in September 1943. In September 1945 it was renamed the Torpedo, Anti-Submarine and Minewarfare Division.
Director, Anti-U Boat Division
- Post Holders included:
- Captain Lord Ashbourne: September 1945-April 1947
- Captain Robert S. Warne: April 1947-December 1948
- Captain Wilfrid J.W. Woods: December 1948-November 1950
- Henry, Chris (2005). Depth Charge!: Mines, Depth Charges and Underwater Weapons, 1914-1945. Casemate Publishers. p. 21. ISBN 9781844151745.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p38. Retrieved 9 February 2020.