Anti-Submarine Warfare Division
|Headquarters||Department of Admiralty|
London, Great Britain
|Parent department||Department of Admiralty|
|Parent Organisation||Admiralty Naval Staff|
The Anti-Submarine Warfare Division was a staff division of the Admiralty Naval Staff of the Royal Navy established in November 1939, and was responsible for formulating and developing strategies in relation to under surface warfare and controlling the development of new under surface naval weapons. In September 1943 it was renamed the Anti-U Boat Division.
The division evolved out the earlier Anti-Submarine Committee set up in 1910, that coordinated the admiralty's earliest anti-submarine warfare proposals sent for consideration by the Board of Admiralty. Further systematic assessments and experimentation would take place from 1911 until 1915 when the Board of Invention and Research was established. It went through numerous name changes succeeding the Anti-Submarine Division in November 1939. In September 1943 it was renamed the Anti-U Boat Division.
Director, Anti-Submarine Warfare Division
- Post Holders included:
- Captain Arthur G. Talbot: November 1939-September 1940
- Captain George E. Creasy: September 1940-August 1942
- Captain C. Philip Clarke: August 1942-September 1943
- Henry, Chris (2005). Depth Charge!: Mines, Depth Charges and Underwater Weapons, 1914-1945. Casemate Publishers. p. 21. ISBN 9781844151745.
- Mackie, Colin. "Royal Navy Senior Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, p38. Retrieved 9 February 2020.