America and West Indies Station

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
America and West Indies Station
Ensign of the Royal Navy animated.gif
Active(1926-1941)
(1946-1956)
CountryFlag United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.gif United Kingdom
AllegianceBritish Empire
BranchNaval Ensign of the United Kingdom.svg Royal Navy
Part ofDepartment of Admiralty
(1946-1956)
Commanders
FirstVice-Admiral Sir Walter Cowan
LastVice-Admiral Sir John Eaton

America and West Indies Station also called the America and West Indies Command was a major naval command area of the British Royal Navy first created from 1926 to 1941 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy administered its worldwide responsibilities. It was defined so by the Admiralty to identify the area jurisdiction of the Commander-in-Chief, America and West Indies Station In 1942 it was renamed the Western Atlantic Station. It was renamed back to its original name in 1946 and existed until 1956.

History

Map of major naval command areas of the Royal Navy from 1939 to 1945 showing the boundaries of the America and West Indies Station.

The America and West Indies Station was a major naval command area of the British Royal Navy first created from 1926 to 1941 as one of the geographical divisions into which the Royal Navy administered its worldwide responsibilities.

During World War II Station HQ was based at Bermuda In September 1939 the South American Division a component force consisted of a small unit of two cruisers which came to prominence at the battle of the River Plate in December 1939. It was absorbed into the South Atlantic Command shortly thereafter.

However the 8th Cruiser Squadron was its principal component, this command was concerned primarily with operations to detect and sink German surface raiders. The combination of a reduction in that threat, the entry of the United States into the war, and the increased role of the Royal Canadian Navy, brought about the virtual end of the command in 1942.

In 1942 it was renamed the Western Atlantic Station. It was renamed back to its original name in 1946 and existed until 1956.

In Command

Commander-in-Chief, America and West Indies Station

Timeline

Responsibility for North American and West Indies waters lay with the following stations or formations.

  • North America and Lakes of Canada Station (1817-1824)
  • North America and Newfoundland Station (1824-1830)
  • North America, West Indies and Newfoundland Station (1830-1837)
  • North America and West Indies Station (1837-1907)
  • 4th Cruiser Squadron (1907-1913)
  • North America and West Indies Station (1913-1926)
  • America and West Indies Station (1926-1941)
  • Western Atlantic Station (1942-1945)
  • America and West Indies Station (1946-1956)

References