|HM Dockyard, Alexandria|
|Part of Alexandria Station|
|Alexandria in Egypt|
|Controlled by||Board of Admiralty|
Alexandria Dockyard was established during the First World War at Ras el-Tin Point, Alexandria, Egypt, its official name during World War II was HMS Nile. The dockyard served as headquarters for the Alexandria naval command and from June 1940 to February 1943 was also the headquarters of the Mediterranean Fleet. It also encompassed dockyard facilities and a separate facility for headquarters staff for the Rear-Admiral Alexandria. It was active until June 1946.
Alexandria Naval Base was established in 1914 at Ras el-Tin Point, Alexandria, Egypt, its official name during World War Two was HMS Nile. The naval base served as the main headquarters of the Mediterranean Fleet from June 1940 until February 1943. However the base itself was part of the Alexandria naval station headquarters for the commanding officer of the Alexandria naval station. It encompassed dockyard facilities under the control of a local Captain Superintendent and a separate facility for headquarters staff of the Rear-Admiral, Alexandria. It was active until June 1946.
The yard consisted of 1 Dry Dock, 553 x 64 ft that was used for the construction, maintenance, and repair of ships.
The superintendent administered the movements of ships and formations at the naval base and dockyard facilities.
Captain-Superintendent, Alexandria Dockyard
|Captain-Superintendent, Alexandria Dockyard|
|1||Captain||W.Y. La R. Beverley||14 August, 1940 – April, 1942|||
|2||Captain||C. Coppinger||April, 1942 – December, 1943|||