Admiralty Mining Establishment

From Naval History Archive
Jump to navigationJump to search
Admiralty Mining Establishment
Board of Admiralty Flag 20th Century.png
Agency overview
Formed1946
Preceding
Dissolved1951
Superseding department
Parent departmentDepartment of Admiralty

The Admiralty Mining Establishment was a British Admiralty research establishment, responsible for the design and development of mines from 1946 to 1951 when it was renamed as the Underwater Counter Measures and Weapon Establishment.[1]

History

A mining department was formed at the Admiralty in 1915, later becoming in 1919 the Mine Design Department (MDD), housed at HMS Vernon in Portsmouth. In 1946, after being dispersed to various places during the war, it was reconstituted at Leigh Park, Havant as the Admiralty Mining Establishment (AME).[2] In 1951, its functions had been enlarged sufficiently to justify a change of title to the Underwater Counter Underwater Counter Measures and Weapon Establishment (UCWE).[3]

Footnotes

  1. "Admiralty: Mine Design Department and Mining Establishment: Reports and Papers". discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk. Kew, Surrey, England: National Archives UK. 1922–1958. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
  2. National Archives UK.
  3. National Archives UK.