Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent agency||Navy Department|
The Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment was a research department of the British Royal Navy responsible for the testing of auxiliary naval machinery from 1966 to 1976.
The Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment originated as the Admiralty Fuel Experimental Station, (1902-1966). From 1953, AFES responsibilities in the field of fuels and lubricants were transferred to the Admiralty Oil Laboratory, and subsequently AFES concentrated on machinery design and testing. With the decline in the use of oil-fired steam plant, its function changed, and in 1966, AFES's responsibilities became those of testing auxiliary naval machinery. This change of function was reflected in the alteration of its name to Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment (AMEE). AMEE absorbed the Admiralty Distilling Experimental Station (ADES) at Portland in 1974. In 1976, AMEE underwent another change of name to Naval Auxiliary Machinery Department (NAMD)