Admiralty Fuel Experimental Station
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent Department||Department of Admiralty|
The Admiralty Experimental Station was a research department of the Admiralty set up in 1902. Initially its research centred round centred on the technology of burning oil fuels in marine boilers. In 1966 it was replaced by the Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment (AMEE).
The Admiralty Fuel Experimental Station (AFES) was originally formed as the Admiralty Liquid Fuel Experimental Establishment in 1902 at Haslar, and remained on the same site throughout its existence.. Its activities were centred on the technology of burning oil fuels in marine boilers, including the design of burners, the properties of refractory linings in furnaces and other aspects of boiler design. From 1953, AFES responsibilities in the field of fuels and lubricants were transferred to the Admiralty Oil Laboratory, and subsequently AFES concentrated on machinery design and testing. With the decline in the use of oil-fired steam plant, its function changed, and in 1966, AFES's responsibilities became those of testing auxiliary naval machinery. This change of function was reflected in the alteration of its name to Admiralty Marine Engineering Establishment (AMEE).