Admiralty Development Establishment
|Jurisdiction||Government of the United Kingdom|
|Parent agency||Department of Admiralty|
The Admiralty Development Establishment was a subsidiary of the Department of Admiralty established in 1946. It was controlled by the Director of Development. In 1964 it was abolished.
The Admiralty Development Establishment, Barrow, was set up in 1946 as a civilian department of Vickers Armstrong Ltd to work on an Admiralty Contract for developing submarine propulsion machinery using hydrogen peroxide. From 1955 it supported the development of submarine nuclear propulsion, including equipment and dockside facilities. It was disbanded in 1964. Although funded by the Admiralty it was an entirely civilian organisation.