9th Cruiser Squadron
|9th Cruiser Squadron|
|In Command||Rear/Vice/Admiral Commanding, 9th Cruiser Squadron|
It was commanded by the Rear-Admiral or Vice-Admiral Commanding, 9th Cruiser Squadron.
The 9th Cruiser Squadron was first formed in 1912 assigned to the Third Fleet. In August 1914 it was attached to the Channel Fleet. In September 1914 it was reassigned to Gibraltar command then later the Cape of Good Hope Station the squadron was disbanded in January 1919.
The Royal Navy's cruiser squadrons were usually shared between fleets and stations. Consisting from five to six ships in wartime and in peacetime as low as two to three ships. From 1914 until 1924/25 they were designated as Light Cruiser Squadrons then after 1925 reassigned as Cruiser Squadrons.
- Rear-Admiral John M. de Robeck September, 1914 - February, 1915
- Rear-Admiral Sir A. Gordon H. W. Moore, February 1915 -August 1915
- Rear-Admiral Sydney R. Fremantle, August, 1916 – December, 1916
- Rear-Admiral Thomas D. L. Sheppard, 8 December 1916 – January, 1919
- Rear-Admiral Allan Poland, July 1939-April 1940
- Commodore 2nd Class Cyril G. B. Coltart, January, 1940 – June, 1940
- Friedman, Norman (2012). British Cruisers of the Victorian Era. Barnsley, England: Seaforth Publishing. p. 279. ISBN 9781473853126.
- Watson, Dr Graham. "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment, Inter-War Years 1914-1918: 6. LIST OF SQUADRONS AND FLOTILLAS 1914-1918". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 27 October 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2021.
- Grove, Eric (2002). German Capital Ships and Raiders in World War II: From Graf Spee to Bismarck, 1931-1941. Hove, East Sussex, England: Psychology Press. p. 7. ISBN 9780714652085.
- Watson. 2015.
- Watson. 2015.